As a member of the GSD Facilities Management Team and reporting to the Director of Facilities Management, the Facilities Operations Supervisor is responsible for providing superior customer service and performing a range of facilities duties to contribute to the successful management of all GSD spaces. The Facilities Operations Supervisor will play a key role in coordinating and providing support for multiple facilities activities, maintenance, and operations within the GSD, focusing primarily on HVAC, electrical, utilities, life safety, and maintenance operations and repairs, including operating and capital project support.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plans, prioritizes, and reviews work of maintenance tech, Harvard departments, and vendors responsible for mechanical and electric systems, lighting, plumbing, carpentry, masonry, life safety, utilities, and ground; plans and coordinates facilities repair and maintenance activities to assure timely and effective completion of work.
- Develops excellent working relations with GSD community; coordinates services, contractors, and vendor schedules within the community.
- Manages work order tracking system to assure work requests and preventative maintenance programs are assigned, addressed, and completed in a timely fashion. Brings together metrics to support decisions on preventative maintenance efforts and maximize use of resources.
- Supervises in-house maintenance technician.
- Manages small and mid-size operating projects including summer office turnover; develops budget, schedule, and construction documents.
- Assists with development of capital projects; incorporates CAPS requirements; and acts as assistant project manager.
- Maintains and assists in prioritizing vendor supplied facilities condition assessment; updates as required; and uses information to update yearly facilities condition index.
- Oversees and monitors the performance of facilities inspections of facilities to assure compliance with regulatory requirements; conducts tours with city inspectors.
- Maintains safety of people and property; ensures compliance with codes and regulations; acts as liaison with HUEH&S to implement safety programs and makes recommendations for improvements; serves as safety officer, identifying and mitigating concerns.
- Oversees emergency response supplies/maintains emergency cart.
- Serves on LEMT (Local Emergency Management Team); assists in emergency planning and response to facilities emergencies; assists in development of LEMT manual.
- Monitors BAS (Building Automation System) to provide comfortable and energy efficient environment; responds to heating/cooling complaints and coordinates resolution.
- Works with the Director of FM across a range of areas, including: budget management; assisting with budget development for in-house and operating projects, operations, and repairs; vendor selection; and reviewing associated invoices and PCard preparation.
- Maintains furniture inventory; assists in development of furniture standards.
- Coordinates furniture moving and storage.
- Works with department, GSD, and university in implementing sustainable practices.
- On call 24/7 for building emergencies and questions.
- Acts as GSD representative with various university constituents such as FMO, EHS, Procurement, and furniture partners.
- Responsible for supervising one full-time maintenance technician.
- Supervises work of vendors.
Emergency Status Designation: Critical. Requires site presence during emergencies; must be available for emergency calls during non-business hours and to determine response. A cover letter along with a resume is required in order to be considered for this position.
- Tasks can require repetitive stooping, bending, reaching, and carrying.
- Climbing stairs, ladders, and staging.
- Regularly walking up to 1 mile to provide service at different locations.
- Includes office settings; mechanical and electrical spaces; roofs; exterior weather conditions; and construction sites.
- Environmental conditions vary.
- Emergency settings.
Salary Grade: 056
Union: 97 - Non-Union,Statutory Supervisor