Skip to main content
Who are NARI Pros
Post Jobs and More
Job Seeker Sign In
Job Seekers Sign In
New Job Seeker? Sign Up
Your Saved Jobs
Your Job Alerts
Welcome to Remodelers' Career Center
Your Job Alerts
Your Saved Jobs
Return to Search Results
Mechanic - Carpenter
Continue To Application
The application opened in a new tab.
By using this feature you agree to our
Terms and Conditions
February 15, 2017
New York, New York
Full-time - Experienced
Advertised Summary Job Description:
LOCATION(S): Manhattanville Campus
SCHEDULE: Monday - Friday, 11AM - 7:30PM
A Carpenter is a position in the facilities department providing high quality and effective work that provides quality carpentry services to the academic, research and administrative units on the Columbia University- Manhattanville Campus (CUMVC). A Carpenter will ensure quality carpentry work in the planning, laying out, construction, repair and assembly of temporary and permanent buildings, additions, partitions and wooden structures and fixtures. May be required to respond to any emergency on a 24 hour basis. Perform and/or assist in any routine or emergency function of the carpenter position.
General Minimum Qualifications:
1. HS diploma or GED.
2. 3-5 years Carpenter experience
3. Must demonstrate minimum professional proficiency in the English Language; as defined by the U.S. Department of State.
4. Must demonstrate minimum professional proficiency in the English Language as defined by the U.S. Department of State.
5. Must be a quick learner and exhibit self-motivational skills.
6. Strong team mentality (ability to work with others).
7. Strong communication skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, customers, clients, students, vendors, and management.
8. How to read and interpret SDS information.
9. Understanding of general vivarium, and laboratory rules and restrictions.
10. How to identify a fire rated barrier and properly install fire-stopping materials.
11. Knowledge of and/or Training on the following:
a. Use of portable fire extinguisher.
b. Hazardous Waste awareness
c. Asbestos hazards and safety.
d. Required to complete Computerized Maintenance Management Training (work order management training) prior to end of probation period.
e. Confined space entry procedures.
f. Personal Protective Equipment.
g. Infection Control procedures.
h. Interim Life Safety Measures.
i. Safe Equipment handling.
j. Lock-out/Tag-out procedures relevant to carpentry trade.
k. Description and use of fire stopping materials.
l. Communication etiquette including phone, radio, and customer service.
12. Must demonstrate knowledge of all CUMVC's safety policies and procedures.
13. Must demonstrate applicable institutional knowledge and practices of the facility and its operations.
14. Must be able to work all shifts as assigned.
15. Understand fundamentals of maintenance, repair and operations of relevant building features and systems.
16. How to properly use, install, and inspect fire stopping materials.
17. Must demonstrate knowledge of CUMVC'S customer service policies.
18. Ensures positive interaction by acknowledging, greeting, and thanking our customers.
Additional Specific Minimum Qualifications:
1. Hold and maintain Certificate of Fitness for Fire Guard (F-60).
2. Hold and maintain Certificate of Fitness for Using Powder Activated Tools(E-21).
3. Hold and Maintain Certificate of Fitness for Operation and Maintain Air Compressors(A-35).
4. Hold and Maintain Certificate of Fitness for supervision of Flammable/Combustible Finishing Operations (C-30).
5. Hold licenses/certifications as required by local, state, and federal regulations.
Preferred: Hold and maintain an active Motor Vehicle Class D License.
As a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and the Council of Ivy Group Presidents (Ivy League), it is imperative that members of the Columbia University community, in all matters related to the intercollegiate athletics program, exhibit the highest professional standards and ethical behavior with regard to adherence to NCAA, Conference, University, and Department of Intercollegiate Athletics and Physical Education rules and regulations.
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
Internal Number: 126_160407
Send Me Similar Jobs By Email
About Columbia University
Columbia University is one of the world's most important centers of research and at the same time a distinctive and distinguished learning environment for undergraduates and graduate students in many scholarly and professional fields. The University recognizes the importance of its location in New York City and seeks to link its research and teaching to the vast resources of a great metropolis. It
seeks to attract a diverse and international faculty and student body, to support research and teaching on global issues, and to create academic relationships with many countries and regions. It expects all areas of the university to advance knowledge and learning at the highest level and to convey the products of its efforts to the world.
More Jobs Like This
Animal Exclusion Technician - Field Service Rep Entry Level
Special Projects Maintenance Technician
Beaufort, South Carolina
2 Days Ago
Director of Facility Operations
Princeton Day School
Princeton, New Jersey
2 Days Ago
Back to top
Help is on the way!
We're sorry you are having trouble applying for this job.
Please try loading this job using the following link before submitting your help request:
Please provide details:
Submit Help Request