This is a 80% position for 10 months per year, will start Spring Quarter, 2017 or Fall Quarter, 2017.
This position is exempt from overtime.
Bellevue College is a diverse student-centered, comprehensive and innovative college, committed to teaching excellence that advances the life-long educational development of its students while strengthening the economic, social and cultural life of its diverse community. Bellevue College is located just 10 miles east of Seattle where we serve a student population of over 40% students of color and over 1,700 international students. The college promotes student success by providing high-quality, flexible, accessible educational programs and services; advancing pluralism, inclusion and global awareness; and acting as a catalyst and collaborator for a vibrant region.
- We strive to create a vibrant and inclusive campus community that supports a diverse student body, faculty and staff. As an essential part of our mission and goals, diversity, equity and pluralism are promoted and fostered in all aspects of college life. By enriching student life through leadership opportunities, personal learning and cultural experiences, we are committed to building an inclusive and diverse campus community that fosters creativity, innovation and student success.
Bellevue College is seeking a Technical Director for the Theatre Arts Department of Drama and Dance. The Drama program produces three plays/musicals a year with three-four student produced events (advised and monitored by the Technical Director.) Dance produces two events a year. This individual will operate and maintain the technical assets of the theatre, including scenic construction, sound, lighting, projection and the overall maintenance and operations of stage facilities in Stop Gap Studio Theatre.
This successful candidate will design sets and lights for at least two productions a year and facilitate the scenic design, and construction for all Theatre Arts productions and put in of all elements in Stop Gap Studio Theatre. In addition the Technical Director provides technical support and supervision for all events wherever they are produced including the supervision and teaching of all students in the shop and theatres. This individual may also be considered for adjunct teaching assignments in design and scenic technology provided s/he meets the required qualifications.
Essential Functions/Typical Duties:
- Oversee, supervise and be responsible for the implementation of scenic, lighting, sound, design and construction for all Theatre Arts productions.
- Train and supervise students in the safe use of all theatrical and shop equipment.
- Train and supervise students working on all Theatre Arts production crews including stage managers, backstage crews, all booth operators (Drama, Dance, Stage Fright Student Drama).
- Collaborate with faculty on group projects and mentor students in the scene shop and theatres.
- Design scenery and lighting for selected Theatre Arts productions.
- Estimate, engineer, construct, load-in and strike scenery, rigging and electrics for all Theatre Arts productions.
- Supervise set-up, take down and operation of lighting, sound and other support activities for various Theatre Arts events.
- Create, maintain and manage production budget for all productions with the Theatre Arts Chair.