The Facilities Management unit of the Division of Facilities and Services at West Virginia University is accepting applications for a Road and Grounds Trades Specialist I position. Under the direction of the supervisor and/or lead, this position shall perform skilled landscape construction duties.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Operate various equipment such as payloaders, backhoes, road graders, dozers, asphalt pavers, rollers, etc.
- Install, construct and maintain landscape structures while using materials such as concrete, flagstone, brick, blocks, pavers, and others.
- Apply sealers, anti-spalling compounds, adhesives, etc. in performing normal duties.
- Perform landscaping tasks including planting, seeding, fertilizing, etc.
- Remove snow from sidewalks, steps, roads and parking lots using trucks, tractors, power brooms and hand tools.
- Complete service and maintenance on all equipment as needed and assist mechanics with major repairs.
- Assist in the upkeep of maintenance records for trucks and grounds equipment.
Work Hours: Sunday - Thursday, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Pay Grade: 13
- Vocational or technical training of up to 18 months beyond high school in masonry, carpentry or mechanics; an equivalent combination of education and experience will also be considered
- At least two (2) years in the following:
- Directly related grounds maintenance experience within a commercial environment
- Experience operating all types of ground equipment such as mowers, spreaders, loaders, etc.
- Background check
- Commercial driver's license
- Class B license
- Physical requirements include:
- Simple hand/eye operations
- Some accuracy and regularity of motions, such as set-up and operation of basic instruments and equipment
- Occasional use of standard hand or power tools with minimal speed requirements
- Ability to perform heavy lifting and carrying
- Bending, walking, standing, and climbing stairs daily
- Perform digging as needed
- Able to operate equipment on rough, steep terrain for long periods of time as needed
At West Virginia University, we pride ourselves on a tireless endeavor for achievement. We are home to some of the most passionate, innovative minds in the country who push their limits for the sake of progress, constantly moving the world forward. Our students, faculty and staff make this institution one of the best out there, and we are proud to stand as one voice, one university, one WVU. Find out more about your opportunities as a Mountaineer at http://hr.wvu.edu/.
West Virginia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff and students, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans.
Job Posting: Dec 21, 2016
Posting Classification: Classified
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes