Job Title: Maintenance and Custodial Engineer
Department: All Programs
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
The Chicago Center for Arts and Technology (CHICAT) provides arts, coding and digital education for youth and industry relevant career training for adults in fields such as Healthcare and advanced manufacturing industries that will create real avenues out of poverty and promote hope amongst those who need it most. The CHICAT model is built on the fundamental principles that: 1.) Every human being is an asset and every life is valuable; 2.) Environment shapes behavior, and; 3.) Creativity fuels enterprise.
Under general supervision, supervises and performs the operation of heating, ventilating, air conditioning, plumbing, masonry, electrical and related facilities, as well as the supervision of general maintenance functions, at CHICAT facility
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for operation of all heating, ventilating, air conditioning, plumbing, electrical, refrigeration within his/her work location and maintenance of said areas in order to prevent premature failure.
- Maintenance of these and any other mechanical equipment or building functions to ensure compliance with City, State, and Federal code.
- Responsible for and participates in the safe and economical operation of the entire facility property in code-compliant manner, maximizing energy efficiency while maintaining comfort and aligned with building LEED and energy conservation measures.
- Supervises and performs routine repairs throughout the facility and property (i.e. electrical, Plumbing, Carpentry, Masonry, etc.)
- Support the CEO and COO by responding to his/her individual requests that arise throughout the day for information, resolution, and inquiry when assigned through the Master Schedule.
- Perform annual preventative maintenance plan for responsible facility including specific schedule and action documentation maintained on the BAS system and scheduled on the Master Schedule.
- Set and get approval for annual preventative maintenance plan for responsible facilities. Include specific schedule and action documentation maintained on the BAS system.
- Meet specific annual productivity goals by execution of the following: provide cost avoidance reporting, submission of new ideas to area management, effective implementation of approved ideas, provide cost improvement reporting as a continuous tracking tool.
- Develop an annual facilities maintenance plan by 12/1 of each year consistent with the format provided by the COO. Provide quarterly updates with corrective action steps when necessary. Ensure annual work schedule is on master staff schedule to include days/shifts worked, vacations, and known days off.
- Effectively lead and manage the maintenance staff as applicable - including, but not limited to, hiring, training, scheduling, conducting employee performance management, and recommendations for promotion or termination.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with vendors and service contractors.
- Comply with purchasing department designated supply contract requirements.
- Provide quarterly and annual supply usage forecasts.
- Maintain approved inventory.
- Monitor and provide usage reports on all supplies.
- Manages energy conservation, recycling, structural pest control, asbestos abatement and other operational problems at the facility.
- Ensures personal attendance tracking is consistent with proper payroll procedures at all times.
- Performance evaluations subject to the PMP (Performance Management Process).
- Coordinate construction and rehabilitation work when approved by the CEO.
- Services food service area and equipment; consults with education and food services staff.
- Perform other duties as required coursework.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk, hear, and use hands to handle or feel. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, and occasionally, up to 60 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.