The Service Technician is responsible for ensuring that apartment units and other property facilities are in good working order. This includes diagnosing and repairing air conditioning and heating units, electrical appliances and outlets, plumbing, carpentry, locks, and similar repairs. This position also follows a planned preventive maintenance schedule and follows up with residents after repairs are completed. The Service Technician also assists others in related positions including assisting in preparing recently vacated apartment units for rent availability, landscape projects, and renovation projects.
All MAA associates must successfully clear a background investigation to include, but may not be limited to: criminal background check, pre-employment drug screening and an employment verification process. Must be flexible and able to work a varied schedule, including weekends and some holidays as required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Takes orders for service, prioritizes them, and handles each order in the most efficient manner.
- Examines and diagnoses problems with air conditioning units for individual apartment units or another property facility; determines the best method of repair or to replace all or part of the unit; makes repairs and/or replacements according to standard; performs maintenance on units such as replacing filters and cleaning coils.
- Repairs or replaces all or part of heating units in the same manner as air conditioning units.
- Repairs and replaces kitchen appliances that are the property of Mid-America such as refrigerators, stoves, washers and dryers. May contact an outside vendor in cases that exceed the Service Technician’s skill level.
- Performs minor to moderate-level plumbing repairs and replacement/installation including repairing leaks in toilets and sinks and unclogging toilets as requested.
- Repairs and replaces light fixtures and performs other minor electrical work.
- Repairs locks and other miscellaneous repairs on the assigned property.
- Cleans property carpets as assigned,
- May be assigned painting duties, including full interior painting of a unit or touch up work and repairs of walls and woodwork.
- May be assigned preparation, or make ready work to make recently vacated units available for renting.
- May perform swimming pool maintenance work or other duties to keep the property landscape in order.
- Required to work on-call, irregular hours (evenings, weekends) or overtime hours as needed.
- Performs other miscellaneous duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of heating and air conditioning unit repair and maintenance
- Basic knowledge of the repair and maintenance of other household appliances, plumbing, and lighting fixtures
- Ability to communicate with residents and co-workers in a friendly manner to understand work to be done
- Ability to work in disagreeable conditions, both outside and inside, for extended periods of time
- Ability to lift weights of over 50 lbs. regularly
- Skill in using common and specialized tools efficiently to make repairs and perform maintenance duties
One year of experience in performing mechanical repairs and maintenance of home-related mechanical equipment. This should include a background in the repair and maintenance of heating and air conditioning units. Ability to read and understand written instructions. An EPA Type II or universal certification and/or pool certification may be required or an ability to acquire it upon the business needs of the property. Must possess a valid driver’s license
Required to live within 30 miles of the property.
Required to furnish basic work tools.
Job LocationPooler, Georgia, United StatesCompany LocationAvala at Savannah Quarters - 256 UnitsPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular