The Miller Gallery at Carnegie Mellon University seeks a detail-oriented Arts Technician to assist Exhibitions Coordinator on a temporary basis with hands-on preparations of exhibitions including:
- installation and deinstallation of artworks and other exhibition materials;
- art handling with the safety and archival preservation of the artwork in mind;
- performing gallery maintenance;
- painting walls and pedestals for new installations;
- keeping tool room organized and safe; operating and trouble-shooting audio-visual equipment, DLP projectors, computers, bucket-lift and other equipment;
- any other duties assigned by Exhibitions Coordinator.
The gallery contains 7000 sq ft of exhibition space and is located in the Purnell Center for the Arts on the Pittsburgh campus.
See millergallery.cfa.cmu.edu for more information about the gallery.
Technical (A/V, video editing, proficiency with Mac and PC, extensive knowledge of computer operation and basic digital photography);
Construction (basic carpentry, building project rooms, walls and pedestals);
proficiency with power tools (table saw, chop saw, framing saw, etc); comfort using ladders and bucket lift, working at 20ft. height;
Organizational: (experience in gallery setting, art handling, making labels and mounts); ability to work as part of a team.
Necessary skills: heavy lifting (as much as 50lbs at a time); good communication and positive attitude in learning and performing duties listed above.
Necessary experience: previous art gallery experience.
Necessary qualifications: hard-working, responsible, punctual, flexible to last minute changes, disciplined and self-motivated, able to take direction and learn new skills.
Please visit Why Carnegie Mellon to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: http://www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/index.htm